Friday, February 16, 2007

Wish I was there

Two events will make this a rather exciting week for me. On 18 February's Malta Sunday Times, the lifestyle magazine HOMEWORKS will be featuring Valletta G-House. On Thursday 22 February the new Corporate Identity for the Malta Arts Council that I have been working on will be presented to the press. Unfortunately I cannot be present at any of the events as I shall be here in the UK for work.

For those that will be in Malta this week, do not miss Dimitri Shostakovich's Intimate Letters at the Manoel Theatre. The concept behind this series of concerts in various Auberges and Palaces around Malta, links the intimate letters of famous composers to their music. For those among you that, like myself, love classical music but feel inadequate when it comes to knowing who's behind the music, the letters that are read out present an excellent insight into the private lives of the composers. This makes it far easier to get into the spirit of the music and to comprehend, in small ways, the inspiration or tribulations that afflict the music's author. I was lucky enough to be invited to the first one at the Auberge de Castille. I had never ventured into the life of Verdi, a life full of tragedy, a life lived to the full. I had also never ventured inside the Prime-Minister's Offices, the Auberge de Castille, in particular the hall where the string quartet played, surrounded with Grandmasters' portraits. Shostakovich's music will be performed on 22 February by pianist Caroline Calleja, ProMuzika's violinist Sarah Spiteri and Robert Attard, Vladyslav Beliavskyi and Yaroslav Mikluho.

No comments:

Post a Comment